You know the story. It was a star-lit night in Bethlehem, no room at the inn. The Christ child was born in a manger, and the three wise men came to honor Him bearing gold, myrrh and frankincense. What you don’t know is that they may well have been the forefathers of alternative medicine!
In ancient times, Frankincense was considered more valuable than gold, with Egyptians reportedly saying that it was good for everything from gout to a “broken head”.
Frankincense is more commonly known as Boswellia, which is highly prized as a supplement for its anti-inflammatory properties. There are 3 kinds of Frankincense, and Young Living carries all of them:
1) Frankincense (Boswellia carteri): otherwise known as “Frank”, this variety is grown and harvested in Somali land, and 2,000 kilos per day are distilled in Dubai.
2) Frereana Frankincense (Boswelli frereana): This was the variety given to the baby Jesus and still serves as a symbol of Christ and is burned during prayers by Egyptian Coptic Christians. The resin is also made into the most expensive chewing gum in the world, which is offered to guests in the Arab world after meals. This variety of Frankincense is harvested over a 9 month period.
3) Sacred Frankincense (Boswellia sacra): A close relative of #1, this is considered the rarest and most valuable type of Frankincense. It can only be found in Oman, where it grows wild in limestone near the ocean and in the mountains. Frankincense collectors in the region have been harvesting the resin the same way for over 5,000 years in a painstaking process.
Once harvested, the resin can’t be exported by anyone but an Arabian prince. To date, Young Living is the only company that has been given permission by the Omani government to harvest and distill Sacred Frankincense. The company now distills 36 kilos in 2 days without harming the original trees, which are allowed to “heal”.
While all that is certainly fascinating, why do you need to care about a tree that grows in the Middle East? As a breast cancer survivor (or just as someone who is looking to prevent a cancer diagnosis), I am always looking to the research for how I can improve my odds of staying healthy. This one definitely needs to be part of your immune and cellular health arsenal! I use 2 drops on each breast area daily with coconut oil. I also take this one internally, 2 drops in an empty vegetable capsule daily. The scientific evidence is exciting, and I’ll link to it at the end of the post if you’re interested.
Another unexpected benefit of Frankincense? It is incredibly good for your skin! It has anti-aging properties and improves the appearance of scars. I’m going to share my own picture with you now because I feel like it has made a drastic improvement in my mastectomy scar.
When I noticed the results above, I replaced my moisturizer with a blend of whipped virgin coconut oil, lavender, and frankincense. My facial skin is smoother and softer these days!
What are some other uses for Frankincense?
- ease back discomfort by applying directly on the spine
- diffuse to uplift mood an help combat sadness and anxiety
- apply on temples and wrists to relieve stress
- apply on neck and throat to soothe irritation and coughing
- apply on dry, itchy skin to soothe irritation
It’s very exciting that this oil is included in the Premium Starter Kit as one of the 11 oils. I have personally gone through 3 of the 5ml bottles. I think it’s time to upgrade to the big bottle!
Here are some scientific articles to peruse:
Boswellia sacra essential oil induces tumor cell-specific apoptosis and suppresses tumor aggressiveness in cultured human breast cancer cells
Frankincense essential oil prepared from hydrodistillation of Boswellia sacragum resins induces human pancreatic cancer cell death in cultures and in a xenograft murine model
To find out more about ordering your own kit, check out my Essential Oils page.
Next Up…Why You’ll Huff Peppermint Oil in Dark Alleys!